RE: illegal copies

Tue, 7 Jan 2003 13:18:15 -0800 (PST)

--=====================_18953218==_.ALT

hullo all and happy new year.

I think the issue in purchasing material might simply be to deal mainly
with vendors one knows to be reputable, keep a good acquisition paper
trail, and hope for the best. We buy stuff all the time (out of
distribution stuff, that is) from amazon's dealer marketplace. If the
stuff came to us looking dicey, I'd throw it back. Otherwise, I don't
worry about it too much. In other words, we buy on good faith, and have
records to show legal purchase... I figure that a) the burden is on the
seller b) the worst that could happen is a cease and desist order... Life
is too short and work to harried to obsess much more...

Re: posting a list of suspects (or suspected suspects) on this
list...lacking definite litigated proof, I think it might be rather
ill-advised to point fingers over the aether (on the other hand, as you all
know, I'm not too shy about things like price comparisons, complaints about
less-than-honest advertisement, or barbs concerning other demonstrably
shakey business practice... I just think we need to be careful about
wholesale assignment to the ranks of
less-than-reputable...

gary

At 12:57 PM 1/7/2003 -0800, you wrote:
> [...]
>Mark W. Kopp
>Circulation Coordinator
>Appalachia Intermediate Unit 8
>Instructional Materials Services Department
>580 Foot of Ten Road
>Duncansville, Pa 16635
>(814) 695-1972 Phone
>(814) 695-3018 Fax
>E-Address:
>mail to:iu8film@iu08.org
>See us on the Web at:
><http://www.iu08.org>http://www.iu08.org
>Click on; "Instructional Materials Services"
>

>--=====================_10820874==.ALT
>
>I guess that this was my concern, also, in asking about the bootlegged
>copies.
>
>I am somewhat awestruck by Dennis's claim that there is not a whole lot
>that can be done, yet in this very forum, we've seen librarians worried to
>death that they could be arrested and thrown in jail for allowing students
>the innocuous pleasure of simply showing a movie in the student union or
>other common place. Here, we are talking all-out piracy and if Dennis
>hadn't given us his warning, someone would/could have purchased from
>either source.
>
>Where does that leave us, had we purchased unknowingly, from a source
>thought to have been "reputable"? Besides worrying whether we are choosing
>appropriate materials for our collections, are we now slated with the
>responsibility of determining whether our vendor's source's are legit, also???
>
>Does anyone within the reach of this listserve have a list of
>less-than-reputable vendors that they are willing to share with the group?
>
>Mark
>********************************
>At 12:13 PM 1/7/03 -0800, you wrote:
>
>>Ok, is there a list somewhere of companies who do make/distribute bootleg
>>copies so that we unsuspecting librarians can avoid purchasing these items?
>>I know from previous posts to avoid Madacy, but obviously, there are others.
>>How can we tell? Is Amazon able to tell - or do they just take the word of
>>whoever is providing the product? I know that price is sometimes a sign -
>>but not always. What can we look for?
>>
>>Becky Tatar
>>Unit Head, Periodicals, Audiovisual
>>Aurora Public Library
>>1 E. Benton Street
>>Aurora, IL 60505
>>PHONE: 630-264-4100
>>FAX: 630-896-3209
>>www.aurora.lib.il.us
>>E-mail: bltata@aurora.lib.il.us

>Mark W. Kopp
>Circulation Coordinator
>Appalachia Intermediate Unit 8
>Instructional Materials Services Department
>580 Foot of Ten Road
>Duncansville, Pa 16635
>(814) 695-1972 Phone
>(814) 695-3018 Fax
>E-Address:
>mail to:iu8film@iu08.org
>See us on the Web at:
><http://www.iu08.org>http://www.iu08.org
>Click on; "Instructional Materials Services"

UC Berkeley