RE: illegal copies

Mark W. Kopp (iu8film@iu08.org)
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 12:57:01 -0800 (PST)

--=====================_10820874==.ALT

I guess that this was my concern, also, in asking about the bootlegged copies.

I am somewhat awestruck by Dennis's claim that there is not a whole lot
that can be done, yet in this very forum, we've seen librarians worried to
death that they could be arrested and thrown in jail for allowing students
the innocuous pleasure of simply showing a movie in the student union or
other common place. Here, we are talking all-out piracy and if Dennis
hadn't given us his warning, someone would/could have purchased from either
source.

Where does that leave us, had we purchased unknowingly, from a source
thought to have been "reputable"? Besides worrying whether we are choosing
appropriate materials for our collections, are we now slated with the
responsibility of determining whether our vendor's source's are legit, also???

Does anyone within the reach of this listserve have a list of
less-than-reputable vendors that they are willing to share with the group?

Mark
********************************
At 12:13 PM 1/7/03 -0800, you wrote:

>Ok, is there a list somewhere of companies who do make/distribute bootleg
>copies so that we unsuspecting librarians can avoid purchasing these items?
>I know from previous posts to avoid Madacy, but obviously, there are others.
>How can we tell? Is Amazon able to tell - or do they just take the word of
>whoever is providing the product? I know that price is sometimes a sign -
>but not always. What can we look for?
>
>Becky Tatar
>Unit Head, Periodicals, Audiovisual
>Aurora Public Library