Re: illegal copies

MileFilms@aol.com
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 12:50:42 -0800 (PST)

--part1_19f.e968f88.2b4c972d_boundary

In a message dated 1/7/03 3:14:13 PM, bltata@aurora.lib.il.us writes:

> Ok, is there a list somewhere of companies who do make/distribute bootleg
> copies so that we unsuspecting librarians can avoid purchasing these items=
?
> I know from previous posts to avoid Madacy, but obviously, there are=20
> others.
> How can we tell?=A0 Is Amazon able to tell - or do they just take the word=
of
> whoever is providing the product?=A0 I know that price is sometimes a sign=
-
> but not always.=A0 What can we look for?
>=20

It's very difficult at time and Amazon, like most companies, can't police=20
everything they sell. An example is the company just discussed, Hen's Tooth.=
=20
Some of their titles are actually legit. Some of the other titles were=20
actually P.D. when they bought them out and since then, the films have falle=
n=20
into copyright under the US' adoption of GATT/Uruguay. Others, they just=20
released downright illegally.

This, of course, is why this listserv -- along with Video Librarian and=20
Library Journal (and others) are such invaluable resources. Box covers and=20
weird copyright notices, of course, are also a dead giveaway, and more=20
specifically, the quality of the film itself is usually the real test. My=20
strongest recomendation is that when you do buy a video that turns out to be=
=20
bootleg, return it to the seller for a refund. That's the best way to stop=20
bootlegs.

Foothill Video, New York Film Annex, Video Yesteryear (now defunct), EmGee=20
Film Library (aka Glenn Videos), Video Search of Miami, are other companies=20
that have released some films illegally.=20

Jessica can add to this list, I'm sure. Shockingly, she hasn't written here=20
yet -- the Cubs must be starting spring training ;-)

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: (800) 603-1104 or (201) 767-3117
Email: milefilms@aol.com
www.milestonefilms.com

--part1_19f.e968f88.2b4c972d_boundary

Ok, is there a list somewhere of companies who do make/distri= bute bootleg
copies so that we unsuspecting librarians can avoid purchasing these items?<= BR> I know from previous posts to avoid Madacy, but obviously, there are others.=
How can we tell?=A0 Is Amazon able to tell - or do they just take the word o= f
whoever is providing the product?=A0 I know that price is sometimes a sign -=
but not always.=A0 What can we look for?

It's very difficult at time and Amazo= n, like most companies, can't police everything they sell. An example is the= company just discussed, Hen's Tooth. Some of their titles are actually legi= t. Some of the other titles were actually P.D. when they bought them out and= since then, the films have fallen into copyright under the US' adoption of=20= GATT/Uruguay. Others, they just released downright illegally.

This, of course, is why this listserv -- along with Video Librarian and Libr= ary Journal (and others) are such invaluable resources. Box covers and weird= copyright notices, of course, are also a dead giveaway, and more specifical= ly, the quality of the film itself is usually the real test. My strongest re= comendation is that when you do buy a video that turns out to be bootleg, re= turn it to the seller for a refund. That's the best way to stop bootlegs.
Foothill Video, New York Film Annex, Video Yesteryear (now defunct),
= EmGee Film Library (aka Glenn Videos), Video= Search of Miami, are other companies that have released some films illegall= y.