Re: THE WAR GAME

MileFilms@aol.com
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 11:28:18 -0800 (PST)

--part1_114.1d29848f.2b4c8420_boundary

In a message dated 1/7/03 2:01:30 PM, iu8film@iu08.org writes:

> Dennis,
> How does a business like Amazon.com get away with selling "bootlegged"
> copies of a video. That IS dangerous accusation, but should be turned over
> to the authorities if it is really true.
> Mark

Dear Mark,
Simply, it's not dangerous. It's true. Libel is only existent when it has
malicious intent and is a falsehood that damages the person or organization
involved. My claim is neither.

As a matter of fact, Amazon (and many others) have indeed had (and obviously,
still do have) illegal titles on their website -- including in the past, our
titles THE ADVENTURES OF PRINCE ACHMED, MY BEST GIRL and TAMING OF THE SHREW.
These were all resolved. All the legal copyright holder has to do, as in our
case, is to inform Amazon and they take it off of their site immediately. It
is up to the BBC, therefore to stop these sales of THE WAR GAME and BATTLE OF
CULLEDON if they so desire.

As for turning it over to the "authorities," there is no real provision for
this in the copyright law. The MPAA can turn over their information to the
FBI who can take action if they desire. But you need to be a member of MPAA
for this privilege. A company usually sues for damages (triple damages if
your title is registered with the copyright office), but of course, there
goes your profit on such titles!

The easiest way to handle an infringement is for the copyright holder to
write cease and desist letters to the distributor and the retailers to limit
the damage to their rights. When we acquire a "classic" title (like our
"Woman in the Dunes"), this is the first thing we do.

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640