Re: THE WAR GAME

Mark W. Kopp (iu8film@iu08.org)
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 10:55:01 -0800 (PST)

--=====================_3575915==.ALT

Regarding The War Game,

Despite having been produced by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC),
the film was banned from television broadcast. The official reason was for
violence and depiction of human suffering, but others hinted that it may
have been because it went against the official government line concerning
survivability of nuclear attack. While the ban forbade television
broadcast, it did not forbid cinematic distribution. Because of this
loophole, the film was given wide release in theatres, and won four major
film awards.

Believe it or not, Amazon lists it.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000007SYV/ref%3Dnosim/lksmsubsite-sub-vd-asin-20/102-2248492-3984106

According to the Amazon website, it comes from Hen's Tooth Video and Hen's
Tooth's catalog is located on Picpal below:
http://picpal.com/henstoh1.html
Scroll down to "War Game"

Mark
***************************************
At 10:10 AM 1/7/03 -0800, you wrote:

>His website is: http://www.peterwatkins.lt/varyk.htm, and it has
>distribution information, but I don't know how up to date it is.
>
>The War game has an interesting history. He did it for/with the BBC, who
>then refused to air it because it is a disturbing film on the fallout from
>nuclear war. It then won an Oscar (best documentary), which the BBC picked
>up, being the copyright holders. It's been released and exhibited since
>then, but it was an inauspicious beginning.
>
>At 09:51 AM 1/7/2003 -0800, you wrote:
> >Does anyone know if the film THE WAR GAME by Peter Watkins is still in
> >distribution? I know years ago Kit Parker distributed it but since they
> >have gone out of business whatever happened to this film??? I would be
> >grateful for any information.
> >
> >Rhonda Pancoe
> >Media Acquisitions Coordinator
> >Media & Instructional Technology
> >SB-8 McGregory Hall
> >Colgate University
> >Hamilton, NY 13346
> >Phone: 315-228-7858
> >Fax: 315-228-7725
> >Email: RPancoe@Mail.Colgate.Edu
>
>Amy Severson
>Learning and Instructional Development Centre
>7560 Education Building
>Simon Fraser University
>Burnaby, BC V5A 1S6 Canada
>phone: (604) 291-4300 fax: (604) 291-4900
>ajs@sfu.ca http://www.sfu.ca/lidc/mr/

Mark W. Kopp
Circulation Coordinator
Appalachia Intermediate Unit 8