RE: Relative abuse of DVD & CD collections [was RE: [PUBLIB] DVD'

SkarraM@lac.losalamos.nm.us
Fri, 27 Dec 2002 15:06:54 -0800 (PST)

Our musical CDs stay in relatively good shape, while our DVDs are scratched
within 5 or 6 Circs, often even less.
My guess is that the Music CDs which are primarily Classic and Opera
selections are handled by a different type of patron, those used to handling
with care good music. Also, a public library allows more indiscriminate
handling of these items than an academic library, (by the sound of the

Mary Skarra
Library Spec. II
662-8250
Skarram@lac.losalamos.nm.us

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey Clark [mailto:clarkjc@jmu.edu]
Sent: Friday, December 27, 2002 1:35 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Relative abuse of DVD & CD collections [was RE: [PUBLIB] DVD's and
CD's]

Here's a related question for those of us in any kind of library who have
both DVD and CD circulating collections:

Do you find a difference in the condition of the two collections, given a
comparable number of circulations? (A rough impression would do, since I
know that's a hard one to statisticalize, so to speak.)

I have a suspicion that the kind of treatment both formats get--regardless
of how easily abuse may make one or the other unplayable--tends to vary....

Jeff

--On Monday, December 23, 2002 11:31 AM -0800 SkarraM@lac.losalamos.nm.us

Jeff Clark
Director