Re: dvd players

Delin, Peter (delin@zlb.de)
Fri, 27 Dec 2002 03:39:00 -0800 (PST)

Dear Rhonda,

we try to offer cinema like viewing conditions to our public. That is
why we are experimenting with DVD-ROM drives in a PC connected to a
computer monitor. TV screens are made for living rooms to be used by
"couch potatoes" sitting at a certain distance from the screen whereas a
computer monitor is made to be used sitting just in front of it at a
desk.

If you want to offer a larger screen by using a TV on a desk for sitting
just in front of it the lines of the TV picture are visible and will
disturbe the picture. And there are a lot of more problems with picture
quality of a TV screen. You will get a far better picture by using a
computer monitor which offers non interlaced scanning. This "progressive
scan" technique garantuees a far better picture if all hardware and
software components are optimized (!). More details here:
http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#4

"A DVD PC connected to a progressive-scan monitor or video projector,
instead of a standard TV, usually looks much better than a consumer
player. See 2.9. Also see the Home Theater Computers forum at AVS."

Try to buy it as a package from experts that have configurated all
components to the optimum and you will get a first class viewing
station.

Some years ago we have bought a PC fully configurated and equipped with
a Pioneer-DVD ROM drive. Decoding is done by a hardware decoder (Win
Fast 3DS800 with an MPACT chip which is no longer produced) and a sound
card. We have combined it with an ELSA 24" 16:9 monitor (Ecomo 24H96)
which is expensive at a first glance but a good TV set with an 28"/16:9
screen, 100 Hz picture frequency and picture correction chips is not
very much cheaper either.

Our PC is operated only with the mouse (we hide the keybord from the
public). Picture quality is excellent and for the headphones surround
sound is simulated by "Trusurround". We can use all sorts of DVD (PAL,
NTSC and all region codes by a special software). I suppose today there
are even better solutions by software decoders and better decoding
chips.

But there are drawbacks. Main problem is security. It is difficult to
protect the software of a stand alone pc which is not connected to a
network. After a while we have found a special chip. It's called "pc
waechter" - hardware protection for local harddisk drives which is used
mainly by schools for open access pc. I suppose their will be something
similar available in the US. We are not computer experts and we had to
install this chip by ourselves because our computer department in the
library refused to look after our computer viewing seats. They have told
us to buy dvd players. So that was really hard! So the main problem with
computers as viewing stations is service.

With kind regards
Peter Delin/Videolektorat
Zentral- und Landesbibliothek Berlin
http://www.zlb.de/index.html