RE: [PUBLIB] DVD's and CD's

SkarraM@lac.losalamos.nm.us
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 11:31:56 -0800 (PST)

We have jus 202 DVD's but they only average 8 -10 Circs before requiring
some sort of buffing. Our VHS, as I am sure everyone knows last between 200
- 250 Circs. The problem is that the demand for DVD's is so high that as a
public library we really need to have them available.

Mary Skarra
Library Spec. II
662-8250
Skarram@lac.losalamos.nm.us

-----Original Message-----
From: Trent Nicholas [mailto:Tnicholas@vmfa.state.va.us]
Sent: Monday, December 23, 2002 12:24 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: RE: [PUBLIB] DVD's and CD's

I hope listservers with responses to the question Ms. Skarra posed will post
them to the list. Our educational video collection is just beginning to
switch to DVD, so we are most interested in the damage issue. I have read
past discussions of this matter but always like to read up-to-the-minute
ones. Thank you.
To add, from past discussions, listservers have said that DVDs are
more susceptible to damage owing to the fact that they are visual and
therefore the scratch removal equipment is not as effective. And it seems
more and more listservers are noting that DVD damage rate is starting to
seem considerably greater than VHS tape. Am I right with those conclusions?

Merry Xmas to all and to all a goodnight,
T. Nicholas
Virginia Museum of Fine Arts