RE: Weeding Film Collection

Bergman, Barbara J. (barbara.bergman@mnsu.edu)
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 11:07:22 -0800 (PST)

My film weeding has been on a much smaller scale, but here's how we
handled it.

I created subject lists & sent those to the appropriate departments. I
asked that the list be routed to the faculty, that they highlight titles
they would like us to keep, and return the list by a set date. I let
them know that the complete list of all films was available for review
in the Media Services area. (There's always someone concerned about the
collection as a whole, even if it's not their subject area....) If no
one highlighted a title, I considered it fair game for weeding, but did
check to see if it had circulated in the last 2 years.

If possible, inventory the actual films to see what's really there,
versus what's on the list, before creating the weeding lists.

Check for duplicates. If you have the video, weed duplicates
automatically, no need to ask faculty.

If a film is obviously multi-discipliniary, put on more than one subject
list.

All feature films were excluded from weeding, as were a few known
classics that aren't available in another format. (They might be weeded
because of poor condition, but not as part of general weeding.)

Consider replacing on video or DVD if possible.

For ongoing weeding, we pull a list of all titles that haven't
circulated for 5 years.

Barb Bergman
Media Services Librarian
Minnesota State University-Mankato