RE: Weeding Film Collection

Tatar, Becky (bltata@aurora.lib.il.us)
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 09:53:24 -0800 (PST)

I have been doing this on our collection this year, with mixed results. It
is amazing to me how many titles don't circulate. I have a very elastic
list of qualities, read about here, or from other sources on what to pitch.

Overall consideration - 3 or less circulations since 2000. This hits a lot
of nonfiction, but also some feature films. Duplicates, except in very
special cases. Also, films that have had new editions put out - anniversary
releases, new, updated information.

Feature films - consider for weeding on the above - 3 circ or less since
2000; but be aware of award winners, core collection titles, National Film
Register titles, etc. Also, foreign films and silent movies receive special
consideration - these are special collections that we believe we need to
have.

Nonfiction - some of the same considerations that books have - age, quality
of the information, superceded by new information, etc.

One thing I really don't consider is high circ. If I see that our copy of
Dumbo has gone out 200 times, well I know it probably has been viewed 1000
times! But until it dies, I probably won't weed it unless patrons comment
on the picture/sound quality when they return the tape. However, I would
probably try to purchase another copy if it were available.

With these guidelines, I have been able to weed a good number of videos -
though not as much as I hoped. Hope this helps.

Becky Tatar
Unit Head, Periodicals, Audiovisual
Aurora Public Library
1 E. Benton Street