RE: all region DVD players

Schmitt, Mike (schmittm@uwgb.edu)
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 12:15:19 -0800 (PST)

We purchased a Sampo DVE-612 DVD player. This will play discs from multiple regions and can play NTSC and PAL format discs. This DVD player can automatically convert either format to your TV--typically NTSC in North America.

So far so good with this unit. I can't say that I have huge faith in Sampo but so many DVD players are cheap in construction and design. This one works as well as others and is able to play multiple regions and formats on NTSC and PAL monitors. It also contains many of the standard features.

We purchased it for $177 delivered from www.noexpress.com This is New Orleans Express. Overall it seems like a fairly decent unit with no problems for us or faculty that have them at home.

--Mike Schmitt
UW-Green Bay
Audio/Video Services

-----Original Message-----
From: Sarah Andrews [mailto:sarah-andrews@uiowa.edu]
Sent: Monday, December 09, 2002 1:37 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: all region DVD players

Our library also had the problem of faculty requesting DVDs which weren't
coded Region 1.
We purchased 2 all-codes/all-regions JVC DVD players from
http://www.dvdshippers.com/ this summer. They ship to US addresses for
free. So far, everything we have purchased from Europe has played in these.

I inquired with some of our faculty about what to look for in a code-free
player. They recommended getting a long warranty, as these are prone to
breaking down, and to make sure your tv, etc. were also PAL compatible.
Here is some additional information: http://www.dvdtalk.com/rce.html

If you want to go the cheap, probably illegal route--many players can be
hacked to get around the default region coding. You can find this
information on the web. (I'm pretty sure that's what some of our faculty
did to their home machines).

Sarah Andrews
University of Iowa Libraries
Monographic Acquisitions