Re: all region DVD players

MileFilms@aol.com
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 11:59:10 -0800 (PST)

--part1_75.415174d.2b264f39_boundary

In a message dated 12/9/02 2:37:29 PM, sarah-andrews@uiowa.edu writes:

> If you want to go the cheap, probably illegal route--many players can be=20
> hacked to get around the default region coding.=A0 You can find this=20
> information on the web.=A0 (I'm pretty sure that's what some of our facult=
y=20
> did to their home machines).
>=20
Even though, as a distributor, I'm usually a protectionist, I doubt that it=20
is actually illegal to re-format your DVD player, though it most likely=20
violates your warranty (as if any lasted more than 90 days anyway). It might=
=20
be illegal for a seller to do this, but I group it with the copying of CDs=20
and TV shows -- what you do with legal media in your own home for your own=20
use is almost always allowed in this country.

I suspect what is advertised on DVDTalk, like most multi-system VHS players=20
and DVD players, would be considered gray market in the US, and if I were a=20
media center, I would just go with the most reliable brand, like your JVC,=20
from the most reliable wholesaler/retailer.

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: (800) 603-1104 or (201) 767-3117
Email: milefilms@aol.com
www.milestonefilms.com

--part1_75.415174d.2b264f39_boundary

In a message dated 12/9/02 2:37:29 PM, sarah-andrews@uiowa.edu writes:

If you want to go the cheap, probably illegal route--many pla= yers can be
hacked to get around the default region coding.=A0 You can find this
information on the web.=A0 (I'm pretty sure that's what some of our faculty=20=
did to their home machines).

Even though, as a distributor, I'm us= ually a protectionist, I doubt that it is actually illegal to re-format your= DVD player, though it most likely violates your warranty (as if any lasted=20= more than 90 days anyway). It might be illegal for a seller to do this, but=20= I group it with the copying of CDs and TV shows -- what you do with legal me= dia in your own home for your own use is almost always allowed in this count= ry.

I suspect what is advertised on DVDTalk, like most multi-system VHS players=20= and DVD players, would be considered gray market in the US, and if I were a=20= media center, I would just go with the most reliable brand, like your JVC, f= rom the most reliable wholesaler/retailer.