all region DVD players

Sarah Andrews (sarah-andrews@uiowa.edu)
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 11:37:21 -0800 (PST)

Our library also had the problem of faculty requesting DVDs which weren't
coded Region 1.
We purchased 2 all-codes/all-regions JVC DVD players from
http://www.dvdshippers.com/ this summer. They ship to US addresses for
free. So far, everything we have purchased from Europe has played in these.

I inquired with some of our faculty about what to look for in a code-free
player. They recommended getting a long warranty, as these are prone to
breaking down, and to make sure your tv, etc. were also PAL compatible.
Here is some additional information: http://www.dvdtalk.com/rce.html

If you want to go the cheap, probably illegal route--many players can be
hacked to get around the default region coding. You can find this
information on the web. (I'm pretty sure that's what some of our faculty
did to their home machines).

Sarah Andrews
University of Iowa Libraries
Monographic Acquisitions

--------------- Text of forwarded message ---------------
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 11:19:23 -0800 (PST)
From: "Gail Fedak" <gfedak@mtsu.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: Ramon Sender films
In reference to this thread, and related to other titles as well, we have
searched for multinorm players and have been told by vendors that they
cannot be purchased in the U.S. Is this correct? If so, why? If not, can
anyone make recommendations? Thanks in advance for any enlightenment.
Gail B. Fedak
Manager, Instructional Media Resources
Middle Tennessee State University
Murfreesboro, TN 37132