Re: Cost to merge media services and libray video collection

Mark W. Kopp (iu8film@iu08.org)
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 11:09:48 -0800 (PST)

--=====================_21824274==.ALT

Hi Barb,

The processes shouldn't be all that different than migrating to a new Media
Software program.

If both are databases, either one of the companies, most likely the one you
currently employ, should be able to import the info, especially if you are
paying them for Support/Maintenance. When we migrated (escaped) from
TechData to MediaTrak, the developers at MediaTrak took care of the data
transfer, and since most Library programs operate in a database realm, that
issue shouldn't be too difficult to overcome, even if you need to hire a
separate database techie (in lieu of hiring or paying, I would think that
you could find one in your University's computer department...snicker ;-) ).

In regards to the "politics and procedures", as long as the entity that is
releasing the titles "lawfully acquired" their collection, you may lawfully
assume ownership of the collection through whatever business negotiations
the two parties settle upon.
(Re: Title 17: Chapter 1; Section 109; Subsection a)

At 10:21 AM 12/6/02 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi:
>
>Briefly, the University of Colorado at Boulder is looking at the value of
>and processes for combining a video/DVD collection of 3,700 titles with the
>University Library collection of 4,500 titles. The former is cataloged
>using Medianet (http://maxi.colorado.edu./htbin/wwform/250/wwk770), and
>the latter uses Innovative Interfaces (III).
>
>Two questions:
>
>Do you know or can you point me to references that speak to associated
>costs for cataloging EACH of the 3,700 titles in III?
>
>Do you have suggestions, timelines or anecdotes to share concerning the
>politics and procedures for melding collections belonging to two quite
>different kinds of departments?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Barbara
>

>--