Re: Digital Conversion

Fri, 6 Dec 2002 08:15:06 -0800 (PST)

--=====================_7977734==_.ALT

Huh?

OK...I was mildly grumpy yesterday (you don't wanna see me real grumpy) to
our good friend Desi of Frameline about sending in a response to the
Newspapers/Newspersons on Film topic...seemed to me we had milked that one
a few weeks back. Sorry for the snit, Desi.

Generally, it'd be cool if we could respond to discussion topics in a
timely fashion and move on, but there certainly isn't an official VIDEOLIB
TIME LIMIT for response...ok?

And regarding the worthiness of the topic in question...seemed perfectly
legit in my book...

gary

At 06:15 AM 12/6/2002 -0800, you wrote:
> [...]
>>Minerva,
>>Amnis, etc. appliance MPEG-2 workstation. I know VBrick allows
>>recipients to
>>receive either an MPEG2 stream or a Windows Media stream. It's been a while
>>since I've looked at Minerva and others. Our campus dorm cable system is
>>all
>>MPEG2 based multicast and the encoding is done at the server level, but the
>>library is doing a pilot with the vendor to test different encoding
>>scenarios;
>>they build their own MPEG hardware.
>>
>>If anyone finds a nice MPEG2 card for the Mac I'd love to hear about
>>it. Right
>>now our Mac environment is very much like Judith's, and the only MPEG-2
>>compression we do regularly there is for DVD mastering. Otherwise, strictly
>>Real, WinMedia and QT output, with a slight preference for Real due to
>>metafile
>>annoyances with QT.
>>
>> > Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 14:44:02 -0500
>> > From: Judith Thomas <jthomas@virginia.edu>
>> > To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
>> > Subject: Re: Digital Conversion
>> >
>> > We do a fair amount of video digitization - using Mac G4s, Finalcut,
>> > Cleaner, QTPro and Imovie, depending on the task. We output to a number
>> > of different formats (especially MPEG1 and soon MPEG4), also depending
>> > on the intended use. We often write out to DV, DV-cam or mini-DV. We've
>> > done a fair amount of REAL production but are moving away from that as
>> > fast as we can. We maintain both a Real and a Quicktime streaming
>> > server.
>> >
>> > Quality, of course, is in the eye of the beholder. Mostly we're
>> > creating short clips for instructional purposes - faculty seem perfectly
>> > happy with 320x240, 1.8 kbps. We've recently embarked on several
>> > projects where we're creating access copies of VHS or film originals for
>> > which we have rights. That material is going on tape first; we'll then
>> > create copies appropriate to the format du jour and the delivery
>> > environment.
>> >
>> > Let me know if a complete hw/sw list would help -
>> >
>> > Judy Thomas

>> *************************************************************************
>> > >

>>-------------------------------
>>M. Claire Stewart
>>Head, Digital Media Services
>>Marjorie I. Mitchell Multimedia Center
>>Northwestern University Library
>>copyrightreadings.blogspot.com
>>847-467-1437

>Mark W. Kopp
>Circulation Coordinator
>Appalachia Intermediate Unit 8
>Instructional Materials Services Department
>580 Foot of Ten Road
>Duncansville, Pa 16635
>(814) 695-1972 Phone
>(814) 695-3018 Fax
>E-Address:
>mail to:iu8film@iu08.org
>See us on the Web at:
><http://www.iu08.org>http://www.iu08.org
>Click on; "Instructional Materials Services"

UC Berkeley