Re: Digital Conversion

claire-stewart@northwestern.edu
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 04:48:11 -0800 (PST)

Sorry if this topic has since expired, but here's my thought on digital
conversion.

Most of the real-time MPEG hardware seems to be Windows based, we've had a
tough time tracking down good cards for the Mac, which is our preferred
environment. We've done MPEG-1 projects with Win cards from Broadway,
FutureTel and Osprey. User interface was particularly bad on the FutureTel.
Quality has been pretty good with all three up to about 1.3-1.5Mbps. Realtime
conversion, which you should expect with any hardware-assisted compression at
this point. Osprey also has MPEG-2 cards (again, for Windows) and these seem
to be a good bet, though we're not using them on a regular basis.

You could also skip the workstation altogether and go with a VBrick, Minerva,
Amnis, etc. appliance MPEG-2 workstation. I know VBrick allows recipients to
receive either an MPEG2 stream or a Windows Media stream. It's been a while
since I've looked at Minerva and others. Our campus dorm cable system is all
MPEG2 based multicast and the encoding is done at the server level, but the
library is doing a pilot with the vendor to test different encoding scenarios;
they build their own MPEG hardware.

If anyone finds a nice MPEG2 card for the Mac I'd love to hear about it. Right
now our Mac environment is very much like Judith's, and the only MPEG-2
compression we do regularly there is for DVD mastering. Otherwise, strictly
Real, WinMedia and QT output, with a slight preference for Real due to metafile
annoyances with QT.

M. Claire Stewart
Head, Digital Media Services
Marjorie I. Mitchell Multimedia Center