RE: Digital Conversion

Teresa Kong (teresak@hkbu.edu.hk)
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 01:24:07 -0800 (PST)

Dear Judith,
I'm interested to know the differences and purposes of using the
software you mentioned, i.e. Mac G42, Finalcut, Cleaner, QTPro and
Imovie.

Teresa Kong
Assistant Librarian
Hong Kong Baptist University Library
34 Renfrew Road
Hong Kong
Email: teresak@hkbu.edu.hk

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Judith Thomas
Sent: Friday, December 06, 2002 4:26 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: Digital Conversion

We do a fair amount of video digitization - using Mac G4s, Finalcut,
Cleaner, QTPro and Imovie, depending on the task. We output to a number

of different formats (especially MPEG1 and soon MPEG4), also depending
on the intended use. We often write out to DV, DV-cam or mini-DV. We've

done a fair amount of REAL production but are moving away from that as
fast as we can. We maintain both a Real and a Quicktime streaming
server.

Quality, of course, is in the eye of the beholder. Mostly we're
creating short clips for instructional purposes - faculty seem perfectly

happy with 320x240, 1.8 kbps. We've recently embarked on several
projects where we're creating access copies of VHS or film originals for

which we have rights. That material is going on tape first; we'll then
create copies appropriate to the format du jour and the delivery
environment.

Let me know if a complete hw/sw list would help -

Judy Thomas

On Wednesday, December 4, 2002, at 04:18 PM, Mark W. Kopp wrote:

> --=====================_28386285==.ALT
>
> OK Video Guru's, I have some questions.
>
> Of those who are doing some Analog to Digital Conversion (VHS to
MPEG),

*

<b>*********************************************************************
*
> ******
> Mark W. Kopp <br>
> Circulation Coordinator <br>
> Appalachia Intermediate Unit 8 <br>
> Instructional Materials Services Department <br>
> 580 Foot of Ten Road <br>
> Duncansville, Pa&nbsp; 16635 <br>
> (814) 695-1972 Phone <br>
> (814) 695-3018 Fax <br>