Re: Digital Conversion

Mark W. Kopp (iu8film@iu08.org)
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 13:03:01 -0800 (PST)

--=====================_1087436==.ALT

From what most of you describe, Mac's seem to be the tool of preference
for the digitization...or is that just what you are equipped with.

I am definitely not fond of the Mac, but would be willing to use it if that
was, decidedly, the way to go. In many of my other programs, specifically
my Library Media Software, the PC outpaces the Mac...hands down....it's
really no contest there. But when it comes to Video, I know that there are
many who claim that the Mac is the machine to be using.

Since I will be building my "Digitization Station" from the ground up, I
truly wish to start out with the better process. The problem...when you ask
a Mac fan which is better, he'll tell you the Mac of course...and vice
versa...when you ask a PC guy, he'll tell you PC.

So...is there anybody out there with ACTUAL, hands on, experience with both.

Your thoughts.

At 12:25 PM 12/5/02 -0800, you wrote:
>We do a fair amount of video digitization - using Mac G4s, Finalcut,
>Cleaner, QTPro and Imovie, depending on the task. We output to a number
>of different formats (especially MPEG1 and soon MPEG4), also depending
>on the intended use. We often write out to DV, DV-cam or mini-DV. We've
>done a fair amount of REAL production but are moving away from that as
>fast as we can. We maintain both a Real and a Quicktime streaming
>server.
>
>Quality, of course, is in the eye of the beholder. Mostly we're
>creating short clips for instructional purposes - faculty seem perfectly
>happy with 320x240, 1.8 kbps. We've recently embarked on several
>projects where we're creating access copies of VHS or film originals for
>which we have rights. That material is going on tape first; we'll then
>create copies appropriate to the format du jour and the delivery
>environment.
>
>Let me know if a complete hw/sw list would help -
>
>Judy Thomas
>

>On Wednesday, December 4, 2002, at 04:18 PM, Mark W. Kopp wrote:
>
> > --=====================_28386285==.ALT
> >
> > OK Video Guru's, I have some questions.
> >
> > Of those who are doing some Analog to Digital Conversion (VHS to MPEG),
> > what equipment and software are you using? How long is it taking? What
> > kind
> > of quality are you getting?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mark
> >
> > *************************************************************************
> > ***
> > Mark W. Kopp
> > Circulation Coordinator
> > Appalachia Intermediate Unit 8
> > Instructional Materials Services Department
> > 580 Foot of Ten Road
> > Duncansville, Pa 16635
> > (814) 695-1972 Phone
> > (814) 695-3018 Fax
> > E-Address:
> > mail to:iu8film@iu08.org
> > See us on the Web at:
> > <http://www.iu08.org>http://www.iu08.org
> > Click on; "Instructional Materials Services"
> >

> > --=====================_28386285==.ALT

> > OK Video Guru's, I have some questions.<br><br>
> > Of those who are doing some Analog to Digital Conversion (VHS to MPEG),
> > what equipment and software are you using? How long is it taking? What
> > kind of quality are you getting?<br><br>
> > Thanks,<br><br>
> > Mark<br>
> > <x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
> > ******
> > Mark W. Kopp <br>
> > Circulation Coordinator <br>
> > Appalachia Intermediate Unit 8 <br>
> > Instructional Materials Services Department <br>
> [...]

From what most of you describe, Mac's seem to be the tool of preference for the digitization...or is that just what you are equipped with.