Re: Digital Conversion

Judith Thomas (jthomas@virginia.edu)
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 12:26:21 -0800 (PST)

We do a fair amount of video digitization - using Mac G4s, Finalcut,
Cleaner, QTPro and Imovie, depending on the task. We output to a number
of different formats (especially MPEG1 and soon MPEG4), also depending
on the intended use. We often write out to DV, DV-cam or mini-DV. We've
done a fair amount of REAL production but are moving away from that as
fast as we can. We maintain both a Real and a Quicktime streaming
server.

Quality, of course, is in the eye of the beholder. Mostly we're
creating short clips for instructional purposes - faculty seem perfectly
happy with 320x240, 1.8 kbps. We've recently embarked on several
projects where we're creating access copies of VHS or film originals for
which we have rights. That material is going on tape first; we'll then
create copies appropriate to the format du jour and the delivery
environment.

Let me know if a complete hw/sw list would help -

Judy Thomas

Judith Thomas
Director, Robertson Media Center
Clemons Library