RE: TV in the Library

Carol Dunn (dunn@oplin.lib.oh.us)
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 11:34:24 -0800 (PST)

I've given you the wrong impression. Sorry. We have over 20,000 videos and
over 2500 DVD's. We buy EVERYTHING including a huge section of TV shows from
the BBC and the US. We have classic television series and sitcoms and also
variety shows. We also have Roots, North and South, Anne of Green
Gables..........the list is endless. That was my point. When does TV
selection begin to water down your movie selection?
Regards,
Carol Dunn
AV Manager, NT Administrator and Webmaster
dunn@oplin.lib.oh.us
Findlay-Hancock County Public Library
206 Broadway
Findlay, Ohio 45840
www.findlay.lib.oh.us
Telephone: 419.422.1712
Fax: 419.422.0638

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Blaine Waterman
Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 2:08 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: TV in the Library

Not only have I bought TV series, they have been the core of my collection
building on DVD. We spent several thousand dollars on multiple copies of 75
film classics during our first year w/ DVDs---so many were stolen that we
rarely had anything on the shelf. This year I shifted gears and focused a
lot on buying classic British and American TV shows and very popular recent
ones. We've gotten an avalanche of discs and finally have DVDs our patrons
can see!!

Blaine

At 08:34 AM 12/3/02 -0800, you wrote:
>Our library's scope is somewhat broader than strictly the history of the
>American Motion Picture. We have collected several of these television DVD
>sets (Sopranos, Sex and the City, All in the Family, and, yes, Friends) and
>they have all been very popular with the public library customers. I just
>think of it as using the same selection criteria I would use for a motion
>picture to choose something from television. Although, we certainly don't
>purchase television products in comparable amounts, so I guess my guideline
>is fuzzier than I thought.

Blaine Waterman
Audiovisual Center Librarian
San Francisco Public Library
100 Larkin Street SF, CA 94102
415-557-4461; fax 415-557-4424
blainew@sfpl.org

Contributor, lii.org, Librarians' Index to the Internet