TV in the Library

Blaine Waterman (
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 11:07:42 -0800 (PST)

Not only have I bought TV series, they have been the core of my collection
building on DVD. We spent several thousand dollars on multiple copies of 75
film classics during our first year w/ DVDs---so many were stolen that we
rarely had anything on the shelf. This year I shifted gears and focused a
lot on buying classic British and American TV shows and very popular recent
ones. We've gotten an avalanche of discs and finally have DVDs our patrons
can see!!

At 08:34 AM 12/3/02 -0800, you wrote:
>Our library's scope is somewhat broader than strictly the history of the
>American Motion Picture. We have collected several of these television DVD
>sets (Sopranos, Sex and the City, All in the Family, and, yes, Friends) and
>they have all been very popular with the public library customers. I just
>think of it as using the same selection criteria I would use for a motion
>picture to choose something from television. Although, we certainly don't
>purchase television products in comparable amounts, so I guess my guideline
>is fuzzier than I thought.

Blaine Waterman
Audiovisual Center Librarian
San Francisco Public Library
100 Larkin Street SF, CA 94102
415-557-4461; fax 415-557-4424

Contributor,, Librarians' Index to the Internet