Re: Transferring 3/4" to 1/2"

Mon, 2 Dec 2002 09:16:23 -0800 (PST)

Hi...

The concept of "archival copy" really doesn't hold water in the land of
video. A few months back there was a lively videolib discussion on the
topic of copying at risk materials
(http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/VideoLib/archive/0210/subject.html look under
the subject heading "copyright")
You should check it out.

The bottom line: If you have an individual title that has been legally
acquired and is at risk of physical deterioration AND if you have made a
concerted but unsuccessful effort to acquire a replacement, it is most
likely permissible to make a copy (ONE copy) of the at risk work. The
notion of wholesale transfer based on the nature of the format (i.e. from
UMATIC to VHS) doesn't cut it. In other words, you need to look at each
potential act of copying as an individual transaction.

At 09:02 AM 12/2/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>To: Academic Media Librarians/Information Providers
>
>Hello everyone,
>
>I know the issue of copyright is a delicate issue, but I need to ask
>your opinion.
>
>Question: I have a collection of 3/4" tapes that will need to be
>transferred soon to 1/2". This will allow faculty greater accessibility
>for classroom instruction. Not to mention--dare I say--3/4" players are
>rarely available in the classroom and it has become a lesser used
>medium.
>
>Before contemplating the transfer, let me point out that we:
> automatically try to find the title in 1/2" and purchase it, and
> if the title is not available in 1/2", we try real hard to
>obtain copyright permission
>
>However, we all know that we are unable to obtain permission for every
>title for whatever reasons. Which leads me to ask you, do you make
>archival copies at your institution for classroom use only?
>
>--Monique
>

>Monique L. Threatt, Librarian for Reference and Media
>Main Library W121, 1320 E. Tenth Street
>Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405
>Phone: 812.855.9857 /Fax: 812.855.1649 / Web:
>www.indiana.edu/~libugls

UC Berkeley