Re: Public performace rights

Lloyd Chittenden (
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 15:19:57 -0800 (PST)

Thank you for you help with this. Now here is the big question, where
to you people FIND this stuff? I don't want to have to bug the list
every time I need this sort of info.


Marilyn Huntley wrote:
> Lloyd,
> I believe the TV & Entertainment Licensing Authority, mentioned by Teresa,
> is a Hong Kong agency. I looked it up after reading her message, hoping it
> could be a useful resource for me. All the results from my internet search
> were at Hong Kong web addresses, so I don't think they'll be able to help
> us in the U.S.
> Yes, you do need public performance rights for the kind of showing your
> faculty member is asking about. I found the U.S. distributors, or at least
> a clue, for each of your titles. Here's where you can inquire:
> Raise the Red Lantern (subtitled) - Swank Motion Pictures, 800-876-5577
> Gung Ho - Swank
> The Story of Qui Ju - New Yorker Films, 212-645-4600
> Federico Fellini's La Strada - Trans Lux Inc. (I'm not familiar with them -
> don't know whether they distribute the film directly themselves, but here's
> their website: )
> Gandhi: Pilgrim of Peace - A&E Television Networks ; distributed by New
> Video Group (I found the video, listed as Mahatma Gandhi: Pilgrim of Peace,
> on the A&E Home Video website at
> . I
> don't know whether their tapes normally include public performance rights.
> They have an ordering number at 888-423-1212, where someone might be able
> to help you with that question.)
> I hope this helps. And welcome to videolib - a great bunch of folks and a
> terrific resource!
> Marilyn Huntley
> At 02:02 PM 11/20/02 -0800, you wrote:

Lloyd Chittenden
Library Technician
Irvine Valley College Library
5500 Irvine Center Dr.
Irvine, CA 92618
Phone:  (949) 451-5712