Re: Public performace rights

Marilyn Huntley (mhuntley@hamilton.edu)
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 08:30:04 -0800 (PST)

Lloyd,
I believe the TV & Entertainment Licensing Authority, mentioned by Teresa,
is a Hong Kong agency. I looked it up after reading her message, hoping it
could be a useful resource for me. All the results from my internet search
were at Hong Kong web addresses, so I don't think they'll be able to help
us in the U.S.

Yes, you do need public performance rights for the kind of showing your
faculty member is asking about. I found the U.S. distributors, or at least
a clue, for each of your titles. Here's where you can inquire:

Raise the Red Lantern (subtitled) - Swank Motion Pictures, 800-876-5577

Gung Ho - Swank

The Story of Qui Ju - New Yorker Films, 212-645-4600

Federico Fellini's La Strada - Trans Lux Inc. (I'm not familiar with them -
don't know whether they distribute the film directly themselves, but here's
their website: http://www.transluxmovies.com )

Gandhi: Pilgrim of Peace - A&E Television Networks ; distributed by New
Video Group (I found the video, listed as Mahatma Gandhi: Pilgrim of Peace,
on the A&E Home Video website at
http://store.aetv.com/html/catalog/s03.jhtml?search=gandhi&x=14&y=7 . I
don't know whether their tapes normally include public performance rights.
They have an ordering number at 888-423-1212, where someone might be able
to help you with that question.)

I hope this helps. And welcome to videolib - a great bunch of folks and a
terrific resource!
Marilyn Huntley