Re: Fair Use Guidelines for Educational Multimedia (was: Re:

Jeffrey Clark (clarkjc@jmu.edu)
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 15:05:11 -0800 (PST)

Mark,

I'm not going to propose to address every issue you raise below regarding
this subject of "media arts" projects. I do agree with Lisa, however, that
either interpretation for this activity is covered by the MM Fair Use
Guidelines when it's part of the goal of instruction.

My specific response is some puzzlement over the notion of a "derivative"
work being created by the class activity, which--if I infer you correctly
here and in your earlier message?--seems to override any intention to use
the "fair use" exemption in this context... when the activity requiring the
partial copying uses the copyrighted work not as the creator intends. (If
this isn't your suggestion, excuse my own misinterpretation. But if it
is...)

Legally provided fair use, in my opinion, does not have anything to do with
adhering to the purpose for which a copyrighted work was created--the
purpose presumed by the viewer, or explicitly expressed by the author.
Comment, teaching, reporting, criticism... all of them can "frame",
intepret, use or even abuse a work in ways other than intended or desired
by the creator. And that's legitimate, in my book. A "media arts" work that
is a collage of clips from different works, depending on its own learning
intent and skillful execution, can certainly be viewed as commentary on the
original works that constitute it.

That a putative fair use activity (for learning or teaching or any other
purpose) takes a chunk or clip or quote from an original work and does such
things with it, does not mean that a derivative work has been created. If
the resulting "media arts" project were 30 minutes long and used as much as
8 min. from a particular film that itself was an hour long--why would this
make the student work derivative of that particular original work that it
integrated a piece of? If a longer clip from another original work were
also used--would that trump this one, and make the student media arts work
derivative of the longest incorporated segment? Or would it be
simultaneously derivative of every last one of the original works that had
a piece from them incorporated?

What I'm getting at is I think that counterposing the "derivative work"
right of the copyright holder against the fair use exceptional right of the
user in a way that limits the latter is not a useful interpretation. It
really echoes the same problem I have with distinctions between "form" or
"artistic expression" on the one hand, and "content" on the other--as if
the former were a vehicle for or embellishment of the latter. That isn't a
commonsensical, "content neutral" judgement: it's a particular artistic
philosophy, no matter how widely it's held by reflex. (And in fact this
idea is encoded by implication in the fair use section 107, when it
includes the FU factor of "the amount and substantiality of the portion
used in relation to the copyrighted as a whole"--amount isn't in question,
but "substantiality" (what's usually referred to as the "heart" of the
work), is in fact often the judgment call of a particular notion of what
art is.) An equally strong or even stronger case can be made for the
philosophy that there's no clear separation between form and content (and I
happen to subscribe to that one, but that's another story!). Once you
entertain this latter philosophy, it means that an "artistic" media arts
usage of original works whose "content" was intended for other uses, is
certainly both sensible and allowable under law. Because the project
activity is really applying other features of the work than its ostensible
subject matter (or in addition to that), which nonetheless are valid
properties of the work for use under the law: e.g., selected imagery and
what reponse it invokes in the viewer, out of its original context but in a
new context with other clips involved in the project. Or just plain
learning how to edit together imagery from different sources that
nevertheless can be made to "make sense" together by their associative
properties when connected.

Any of this, I submit, can be creatively construed to be "fair use" in a
generous sense. (Provided the FU factors are otherwise justified, through
the MM Guidelines or another application of sec. 107.) But yup, no matter
how high the flights of fancy involved, credit all original sources.

Sorry--I'm sure I've philosphically annoyed everyone by now. ;)

Jeff

--On Tuesday, November 19, 2002 6:14 AM -0800 "Mark W. Kopp"

Jeff Clark
Director
Media Resources (MSC 1701)
James Madison University