Re: Screening and Broadband

Mark W. Kopp (iu8film@iu08.org)
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 13:04:54 -0800 (PST)

--=====================_28699804==.ALT

You need to purchase Broadcast rights. You might be able to negotiate a
one-time fee, but when you're talking "feature films" you're looking at
some rather large coin, I suspect.

I am assuming, when you use the term "Broadband Cable", that it is still a
Closed LAN, in that the rest of the world cannot log in and acquire access
to the movie. The other issue, if we are still assuming this to be a
digital broadcast, is what format is your original? If you own a VHS copy,
how do you plan to deliver the movie? If it is in VHS, you are not
permitted to convert for the sake of entertainment and DVD makes a very
poor digital delivery format in that the file is extremely large. Most
feature films are not readily available in an MPEG, Internet (IP) ready
format and you may find that the producers of said materials are not very
willing to allow a digital conversion.

Good Luck, and let us all know how you make out.

At 11:50 AM 11/18/02 -0800, you wrote:

>I think I already know the answer to this, but what would be the legalities
>of showing a feature film on a University's broadband cable.
>
>Erika
>
>--
>Erika Day
>Media Librarian