Re: another copyright question

Mark W. Kopp (iu8film@iu08.org)
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 09:04:54 -0800 (PST)

--=====================_14395908==.ALT

It is illegal because they are going to copy it and put their names on it
at the end. They may refer to it in text, but the actual copy requires
permission, as in "Used by Permission", etc. Each and every clip must have
separate permissions from each copyright owner, and the source you used to
purchase the title may not even have the permission to give you permission.
Each student would need the permissions for his or her project, unless a
blanket permission is negotiated. Remember, they are not just referring to
a title or content, they are actually copying portions of a copyrighted work.

Since that material is no longer being used in a mediated face-to-face
classroom setting, it also is no longer covered by "Fair Usage", either.

The "profs" will, most likely, balk at that. Your response to them is that
if they order a student to make an illegal copy of a title, they are
complicit in that crime as if they had made the copy themselves.

At 08:17 AM 11/18/02 -0800, you wrote:
>--=_D08C394E.F495FEE8
>
>I got some profs here who want their students to check out our films and
>copy bits of them for media arts projects.
>
>Oh, wise copyright gurus, tell me why this is as illegal as I suspect.
>LeeAnne
>

>LeeAnne L. Krause
>Manager, Educational Films
>USC Film Library
>803-777-0322
>

>--=_D08C394E.F495FEE8

>I got some profs here who want their students to check out our films and
>copy bits of them for media arts projects.
>
>Oh, wise copyright gurus, tell me why this is as illegal as I suspect.
>LeeAnne
>

>LeeAnne L. Krause
>Manager, Educational Films
>USC Film Library