Re: copyright question

Fri, 15 Nov 2002 12:29:07 -0800 (PST)

--=====================_15234515==_.ALT

hullo

Face-to-face teaching is defined as:

performance or display of a work by instructors or pupils in the course of
face-to-face teaching activities of a nonprofit educational
institution, in a classroom or
similar place devoted to instruction, unless, in the case of a
motion picture or other
audiovisual work, the performance, or the display of individual
images, is given by means
of a copy that was not lawfully made under this title, and that
the person responsible for
the performance knew or had reason to believe was not lawfully
made; (section 110)

Under the strictest interpretation, the above pertains to regular
instruction in a place where instruction usually takes. Don't think your
use would hold up under those terms (that is, if someone were looking and
loaded for bear...)

At 11:06 AM 11/15/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>Videolib-ers:
>
>Would performance of a video as part of a professional development
>course (for college employees) be considered an educational exemption
>("face-to-face teaching")? Is there any distinction made, in copyright
>law, between regularly scheduled classes and this sort of situation? It
>would seem harmless enough, but I'm curious to see the group's opinion.
>
>P.S. Thanks to all of you who answered my question last week, re:
>public peformance of films.
>
>Barbara Koeller
>Ass't. Director, Library/AV Services
>Montgomery County Community College
>
>Chosen by Yahoo! Internet Life Magazine
>as one of the "Most Wired" Two-Year Colleges
>in the U.S. in 2001.
>
>340 DeKalb Pike
>Blue Bell, PA 19422
>
>Phone: (215) 641-6590