Re: PBS Home Video

Susan Albrecht (albrechs@wabash.edu)
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 07:56:46 -0800 (PST)

This [refusal to sell Home version] *used* to be a problem for me when I
ordered via P.O. Now that I use a credit card for our orders, I never get
asked. Since our videos are purchased to be added to our library's
collection and not for public showings, I buy from PBS Home Video unless
it's only available through the Teacher's site.

Susan at Wabash College

At 07:45 AM 11/15/02 -0800, Pat Means wrote:
>On different occasions PBS has refused to sell me the Home version of their
>videos even after I have explained how it is to used. I have placed an
>order with them this week so we will see how it goes.
>
>At 05:54 PM 11/14/2002 -0800, you wrote:
> >I'm wondering if video librarians are purchasing PBS home video versions
> >or if they're purchasing from PBS Teacher Source. PBS policy for home
> >videos reads that "customer has the right to exhibit the programs to a
> >limited number of viewers, only in a direct face-to-face teaching
> >situation as an internal part of the systematic educational program.
> >Customer may also loan PBS Home Video Programs to others for viewing in
> >their perspective homes." If you call Teacher Source they say libraries
> >have to purchase from them at higher prices.
> >
> >Linda Engelberg
> >Video Librarian
> >Wong Audiovisual Center
> >Sinclair Library