Re: PBS Home Video

Thu, 14 Nov 2002 18:19:29 -0800 (PST)

Hi Linda,

Given the fact that a lot of PBS titles are distributed by Warner Home Video
and are available from just about any distributor you choose, libraries have
no problem purchasing the home video versions of titles (legally, of course,
they have every right to purchase home video copies for circulation and/or
face-to-face teaching situations, regardless of what PBS tells you; if you
want public performance rights, that's a different story).

I've said this many, many times before: once you decide to play both sides
of the institutional/home video fence (i.e., are no longer the sole point of
distribution), all bets are off. I promise you that an Amazon.com warehouse
worker does not stop in the middle of boxing up a library order to wonder
whether the home video version of Ken Burns' "Jazz" is licensed for use in
libraries--he seals that puppy up and moves on...

Best,

Randy

Randy Pitman
Publisher/Editor
Video Librarian
8705 Honeycomb Ct. NW
Seabeck, WA 98380
Tel: (800) 692-2270; Fax: (360) 830-9346
Email: vidlib@videolibrarian.com
Web: www.videolibrarian.com