Re: digital rights and slide collections

Jeffrey Clark (clarkjc@jmu.edu)
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 13:10:01 -0800 (PST)

Betty,

This sounds to me like confusion on the part of the company. Given the
circumstances, it should not make a different if you don't repeat the
digitizing work that another institution has done already for the
collections. Perhaps the one answer you received from the company that you
couldn't do this, was based on a misperception that you didn't already own
the slide collections. That's the only reason for the response that I can
see.

Jeff

--On Monday, November 11, 2002 8:13 AM -0800 Diane Sybeldon
<ac7255@wayne.edu> wrote:

> Hope you don't mind this non-film question.
>
> We are considering purchasing digital rights to two
> slide collections that we own. The company is Slide Presentations.
> The collections are "History of Costume" and "Architecture,
> Interiors and Furniture." We paid about $12,000 for the
> two slide collections in 1993.
>
> The new ($1,350) agreement does not include the digitized images,
> only the right to digitize. We must therefore either digitize
> them ourselves, or pay to have them digitized.
>
> We would like to purchase the digitized images from
> another institution who bought rights and did the
> digitization. We have located one institution who wants
> to sell them to us.
>
> However, the publisher has told us that we can do this,
> and also that we can't. In other words, the request hasn't
> come up before, and they seem to be unclear on what to do.
>
> Since they aren't offering the digitized images for purchase,
> what does it matter where we get the images?
>
> Has anyone been in this situation? How have you resolved it?
>
> Thanks for your help -
> Diane
>

> ***********************************
> Diane Sybeldon