Re: Copyright question

Francis C Poole (fpoole@UDel.Edu)
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 06:19:11 -0800 (PST)

Barbara...Our position in situations like the one you described is that
"WE" the Library are not responsible for obtaining copyright permissions
for such showings. We advise the group of the copyright law and leave it
up to them. If the showing was a Library sponsored event and
considered a public performance, then the Library would pursue permission.
If the showing is held somewhere else by some group which the Library
has no control over, then it's their responsibility. The staff time
involved in obtaining public performance rights to show feature films on
campus can be enormous. At this University there is a student affairs
office which deals with campus film programs and they handle obtaining
such permissions for groups. Usually through SWANK. Francis Poole,
University of Delaware Library.

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, Barbara Koeller wrote:

> Would someone be kind enough to let me know whether I have answered this copyright question correctly:
> A student club wants to show a movie on campus, either one of the Library's or a Blockbuster DVD. They expect only 10-15 members to attend, and no admission will be charged. I have told them that this is still considered a "public performance" and we would have to seek permission and/or pay a licensing fee. Do you agree? It seems to me that the issue is not whether this is a small group and the public will not be invited, or that the club is educational in purpose. It is not part of a class (face-to-face teaching experience) so this is "public" in the eyes of the law. Do you agree?
> Barbara Koeller
> Ass't. Director, Library/AV Services
> Montgomery County Community College
> Chosen by Yahoo! Internet Life Magazine
> as one of the "Most Wired" Two-Year Colleges
> in the U.S. in 2001.
> 340 DeKalb Pike
> Blue Bell, PA 19422
> Phone: (215) 641-6590
> Fax: (215) 619-7182
> email: