Re: Copyright question

Francis C Poole (fpoole@UDel.Edu)
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 06:19:11 -0800 (PST)

Barbara...Our position in situations like the one you described is that
"WE" the Library are not responsible for obtaining copyright permissions
for such showings. We advise the group of the copyright law and leave it
up to them. If the showing was a Library sponsored event and
considered a public performance, then the Library would pursue permission.
If the showing is held somewhere else by some group which the Library
has no control over, then it's their responsibility. The staff time
involved in obtaining public performance rights to show feature films on
campus can be enormous. At this University there is a student affairs
office which deals with campus film programs and they handle obtaining
such permissions for groups. Usually through SWANK. Francis Poole,
University of Delaware Library.