RE: Copyright question

Sakarya, Mustafa (MSakarya@mercy.edu)
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 08:00:03 -0800 (PST)

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2873F.CB7063A8

Yes, you are correct. It is considered a violation of the moviemaker's copyright (unless its a teaching scenario). We had a similar scenario here and I researched the question completely. You must obtain a license PER SCREENING from a licensing agency such as SWANK or MOVIES UNLIMITED. They generally cost $200-500 a screening for colleges. It sucks but that's the law.

-----Original Message-----
From: Barbara Koeller [mailto:bkoeller@mc3.edu]
Sent: Friday, November 08, 2002 10:29 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Copyright question

Would someone be kind enough to let me know whether I have answered this copyright question correctly:

A student club wants to show a movie on campus, either one of the Library's or a Blockbuster DVD. They expect only 10-15 members to attend, and no admission will be charged. I have told them that this is still considered a "public performance" and we would have to seek permission and/or pay a licensing fee. Do you agree? It seems to me that the issue is not whether this is a small group and the public will not be invited, or that the club is educational in purpose. It is not part of a class (face-to-face teaching experience) so this is "public" in the eyes of the law. Do you agree?

Barbara Koeller
Ass't. Director, Library/AV Services
Montgomery County Community College

Chosen by Yahoo! Internet Life Magazine
as one of the "Most Wired" Two-Year Colleges
in the U.S. in 2001.

340 DeKalb Pike
Blue Bell, PA 19422

Phone: (215) 641-6590