Re: VHS shifting to DVD collections

Edmund Jessup (luckystar3004@yahoo.com)
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 14:41:26 -0800 (PST)

--0-515397054-1036017528=:47782

Hi,
I am viewing this discussion group for a class I am currently taking at a Library Science program at Queens College in NY. I was only going to view the discussions going on until I saw this posting. I know that DVDs and CDs are prone to scratches from mishandling, but there is a very simple machine you can purchase at any decent music/video store that takes even pretty deep scratches out of the DVDs and CDs for the low price of $30. I bought one for myself and it has brought new life to my very first CDs that I had deemed un playable. The best part is if by chance the DVD/CD is scratched again the same method of taking the scratch out can be done again over and over. Using this cheap machine will make my DVD/CD collection far outlast any VHS or Tape that I own.
Ed (GSLIS student-Queens College NY)
Rick Faaberg <rfaaberg@attbi.com> wrote: On 10/4/02 3:34 PM, "Diane Sybeldon" sent this out:

> I'm also concerned about their fragility, and
> their often higher price.
> Any thoughts?

> Diane Sybeldon

Fragility has to be a major concern. I can't believe Blockbuster, et al,
allowed the DVD format to be a naked, touchable, scratchable, hunk of
plastic with NO protection. Unbelievable.

About 1 out of 10 DVDs I rent at Blockbuster won't play at all or skip so
badly it makes me mad! :-(

For lack of fragility, VHS rules.

Rick Faaberg