[Fwd: Kuleshov Experiment]

Delin, Peter (delin@zlb.de)
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 05:50:16 -0700 (PDT)

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------FD285B167D763751530F1869

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 14:23:38 +0200
From: "Delin, Peter" <delin@zlb.de>
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: Kuleshov Experiment

Dear Christopher,

here is some information on this experiment from a news group:
http://groups.google.de/groups?q=kuleshov+experiment+on+video&hl=de&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=64b32df4.0208161138.c78e9cd%40posting.google.com&rnum=2

"Whether any of this 'test' footage survives - if it ever existed in the
first place - is anyone's guess."

Here is some more background:
http://www.haverford.edu/psych/p311/gomez/2a.html

"In The Critical I, Norman Holland gives us a glimpse into what Kuleshov
himself remembered about the experiment. Kuleshov does not recall the
experiment actually taking place in front of an audience. He recalls
putting it together, but then
merely looking at it with his colleagues in the lab, and drawing his
conclusions from that. The fact that the experiment was never performed
though, does not take away the significance of the Kuleshov effect."

Facets has published some times ago a russian silent movie made
according to Kuleshov's theory: A kiss for Mary Pickford (by Sergei
Komarov/Igor Ilinsky, 1927)

"A rare, hilarious cinematic oddity, a film formulated from Kuleshov
montage techniques from footage of the famous American couple's visit to
Russia in 1926, wherein a regular guy tries to win a girl through
friendship with the stars. Fairbanks and Pickford didn't know of their
role in the film, being spliced in later according to montage theory."

Certainly someone might have reconstructed the Kuleshov experiment with
the scenes you have mentioned.

With kind regard

Peter Delin/Videolektorat
Zentral- und Landesbibliothek Berlin