Re: Will online courses have right to use videos without

M. Claire Stewart (
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 13:40:38 -0700 (PDT)

Kenneth Crews' evaluation of the just-passed (but not yet signed)
TEACH act is up on the ALA Wash Office site and worth a read:
<> it may help with some of
these questions, but I'd be interested to hear if other experts are
interpreting it the same way.

(BTW sorry if I'm repeating a post, I'm in DIGEST mode here and can
barely see around that HUGE WASH POST ARTICLE sent to the list)

I'm tracking TEACH, DMCRA, Eldred, etc. on my blog (bibliography),
and there is a lot of interesting press right now:

>Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 16:07:12 -0400
>From: Jessica Rosner <>
>To: <>
>Subject: Re: Will online courses have right to use videos without
> permission
>Still confused myself. This one refers to EXCERPTS , I have seen other
>listing that say whole work. Also does anything in the legislation
>give permission for Digitizing a work?
>Inquiring minds want to know
>PS The big Mickey Mouse copyright case will be heard tomorrow. Should be
>interesting Q& A from justices
>Jessica Rosner
>Kino International
>333 W 39th St. 503
>NY NY 10018
>> From: Rick Faaberg <>
>> Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 14:00:41 -0700 (PDT)
>> To: Multiple recipients of list <>
>> Subject: Re: Will online courses have right to use videos without permission
>> On 10/8/02 1:44 PM, "Steve Fesenmaier" <> sent this
>> out:
>>> The legislation would amend the Copyright Act of 1976 so that
>>> online-education instructors could use excerpts from recordings
>>> of dramatic literary and musical works -- such as plays, musicals, and
>>> operas -- on course Web sites without seeking
>>> permission from the copyright owners. Most copyrighted works can be used in
>>> their entirety in a traditional classroom setting without permission.
>> "Plays, musicals, and operas"?
>> Changes my life! NOT. How about yours? :-)
>> "Under current law, only nondramatic literary and musical works can be used
>> in online courses without permission."
>> Hmm. So in the case of a true "online" course (web-based) it appears that I
>> could go ahead and encode/stream educational video for the students to view
>> as part of the course.
>> Any vendors agree with that?
>> Rick Faaberg

M. Claire Stewart (née Dougherty)