Re: locating a video: "Rapture" (1999) by Shirin Neshat

Delin, Peter (delin@zlb.de)
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 04:56:28 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Judy,

you might try to contact John Spiak via this site
http://asuartmuseum.asu.edu/neshat/
They probably have shown this 16mm film on video disc.
It is not a film but a slit-screen video installation with two opposite
screens. So I am not sure if it's available for buying:

"RAPTURE is told on two-screens, mounted on opposite walls of the same
space. It is the story of two groups, one of men, the other of women.
The groups symbolize, respectively, the world of culture, social
principles, tradition, space as a means of control (the fortress) on one
hand, and wild, uncontrollable nature (the desert) on the other. It is
set to the music of well-known Iranian artist Susan Deyhim, which
combines elements of Middle Eastern and North African folk music and
world music with text and the sounds of the surrounding world. The work
grew out of a novel by Monir Ravani'pur titled "Ahl - i - gharq" (which
can be translated as "Courageous Enough to Drown"), and a symbolic
depiction of the weakness of the patriarchal social order."
from this site:
http://www.culture.pl/en/culture/archiwum/artykuly/wy_wy_neshat_csw

More info about RAPTURE here:
http://nyartsmagazine.com/33/24.html
Here is a sequence of photos from this film:
http://www.arteviva.org/sala.asp?expo=17&sala=66

Would you be so kind as to talk to the list if you should succeed in
getting this video. We are also interested in the work of this great
artist http://www.carnegieinternational.org/html/art/neshat.htm
You might also contact Mrs. Neshat direcrly. She lives near New York
City
Neshat, Shirin
Station Rd
Essex, NY 12936
518-963-4099

Well, while muddling through the links of my google search, I have just
found this offer from France
http://www.officieldesarts.com/boutique/cataloguesgb.asp?n=15
The video of "Rapture" is included. We will order it. (This list is
really very useful for collection building!)

With kind regards
Peter Delin/Videolektorat
Zentral- und Landesbibliothek Berlin
http://www.zlb.de/index.html