Re: Open stacks in academic libraries

Francis C Poole (fpoole@UDel.Edu)
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 10:58:42 -0700 (PDT)

Barb: I can't tell whether you schedule videos for faculty for
instructional support which is what we do. Our video collection is in a
closed stack area, accessible only by media staff. Films and videos are
scheduled in advance for classroom showings, research, and other
authorized programmatic functions. We do let undergrads borrow videos if
they have a faculty member book it in their name. Many of our videos are
very expensive and many are difficult to replace. We are now looking at
purchasing Gemtrak moveable video shelving as our present way of shelving
on book-type shelves is a great waste of space. The moveable shelving
also
offers greater protection for the videos. We have a media viewing
area so that anyone with a university ID card can come and watch videos in
the collection. I don't think we would ever put our collection in open
stacks. We have found that videos require constant attention, inspection,
repair, cleaning, and othr maintenance. If our collection was dispersed
I'm afraid we would lose our ability to maintain it. Hope you hear from
others as this is an interesting question. Francis Poole, U of Delaware