Re: VHS shifting to DVD collections

Pat Shufeldt (pashuf@charter.net)
Sun, 6 Oct 2002 20:27:50 -0700 (PDT)

We're going as heavily toward DVD as we can right now. The focus of AV
collection building for our new Main Library, which opens this week, has been
DVD's. For the time being we still have to purchase in both formats for popular
titles when we can; but DVD's are our highest circulating materials. We started
purchasing DVD's in July 1999; have many discs which have circulated 70-80 times
and are still in good condition. We now have 2400 titles on DVD, compared with
15,000 VHS titles.

We have a very liberal circulation period of two weeks, but also have a limit of
two DVD's per library card due to demand. The limit tends to get DVD's returned
more quickly, especially if the patron has a lot of DVD titles on request.

Feature films, including sizeable foreign language film collections, are far
more popular than nonfiction in both DVD and VHS formats. We're just beginning
to build up the nonfiction DVD collection and will be interested to see what the
circulation patterns are for these films. Unfortunately, many of the
documentary films which we would like to purchase on DVD are not available in
that format at this time.

Pat Shufeldt
Greenville (SC) County Library System
pashuf@charter.net