Re: looking for films: Umabatha

Delin, Peter (delin@zlb.de)
Sat, 5 Oct 2002 07:56:59 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Eileen,

I didn't find any source to get Umabatha on videotape, but in this
bibliography a video recording is mentioned:

Msomi, Welcome: UmAbatha - An Adaptation of Shakespeare's Macbeth.
Pretoria: Via Afrika/ Skotaville Publishers, 1996. Video recording:
courtesy of Welcome Msomi.
http://www.google.de/search?q=cache:v9QTHEgacKYC:rcswww.urz.tu-dresden.de/~lehre/classpages/hallberg/bibliography/bibliography.pdf+Umabatha+video&hl=de&ie=UTF-8

This bibliographic record is just the same as for the english
translation of the play published by Skotaville in 1996, too.

The adress of this publisher is as follows (still valid?) :
Skotaville Publishers
307 Hampstead House
"46 Biccard St., P.O. Box
32483"
Braamfontein
2017 SOUTH AFRICA
tel: 0027 11 339 1871/2-4
or: 0027 11 339 1871
(in Johannesburg, seems to be still valid)

You might contact this publisher by phone to ask for a video recording
of the stage performance or for an adress to contact Welcome Msomi, the
author of the play, directly. If there really does exist a video
recording he certainly will know it.

Oh, after writing this I found his adress (dating from May 2000)
http://home.intekom.com/kuzwayo/companys/listed/media/msomi.htm
Welcome Msomi, PO Box 89271, Lyndhurst, 2106
More information here:
http://home.intekom.com/kuzwayo/companys/listed/media/sasani.htm
Good luck!

Here is some background to the play: