Re: media copyright question

Fri, 4 Oct 2002 12:22:16 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all...

Here in sunny autumnal Berkeley, we get on average 2 to 5 requests a
semester for use of MRC materials in contexts outside of the face-to-face
teaching: conferences on campus, student group events, film festivals,
symposia...you name it. The bottom line: we just say no...which, of
course, gives us the reputation of being intractable hard-asses. It also
saves us a) costly litigation b) ethical dilemmas c) administrative
headaches (not to mention wear and tear on the goods. We have WRITTEN
POLICY that clearly specifies the valid uses of MRC materials--i.e. use in
connection with regularly-scheduled classes on the Berkeley
campus. Period. While we do make occasional exceptions for
quasi-curricular events such as symposia and academic conferences (so sue
me, Jessica), we never say yes to student groups, festivals, or (even
tenured) professors who have the idea of throwing a mini-festival for the
student body at large. In the latter cases, we bend over backward to help
the faculty (or student group) find a 16mm copy with rights...