Re: media copyright question

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 11:08:18 -0700 (PDT)

Ok I'm game cause this one is easy
YES YOU NEED PERMISSION FROM THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER ( and chances are about
100% you will need to pay them) ANY PUBLIC SCREENING requires permission
It DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU ARE AND EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION and IT HAS NOTHING
TO DO WITH IF ADMISSION IS CHARGED. The ONLY exception in copyright law
for showing an entire feature film is when it is in the FACE TO FACE and
CLASSROOM INSTRUCTION, meaning that it is STRICTLY LIMITED to students
enrolled in a SPECIFIC CLASS.

This is absolutely totally BASIC copyright law and kind of hoped we were
past these kinds of questions .
Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W 39th St. 503