Re: CD/DVD cleaning and repair system

Renee Zurn (rzurn@duluth.lib.mn.us)
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 08:57:20 -0700 (PDT)

Pat, what type of toothpaste do you use?

Renee Zurn
Duluth Public Library

>>> pashuf@charter.net 09/17/02 06:40PM >>>
When I borrow a rental or library DVD which doesn't track properly, my usual
approach is to clean by gently rubbing back and forth from center to edge of the
disc (NOT in a circular motion which follows the tracks) with mild toothpaste on
a soft damp cloth or paper towel. It's good for getting the greasy fingerprints
off as well as serving as a mild abrasive for polishing It works well if you
only have a few discs to deal with, and the damage is minor. This method has
worked except with the most severely scratched disks we've had returned.

Our library has purchased the RTI equipment for cleaning and repair on a larger
scale; but that's a pretty hefty investment unless you have quite a large
collection.

Pat Shufeldt
Greenville (SC) County Library System
pashuf@charter.net