Re: video streaming on course reserve web site

Jeffrey Clark (clarkjc@jmu.edu)
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 06:14:13 -0700 (PDT)

Rick,

For the scenarios you pose below, do you have specific vendors offering
these sorts of rights that you can cite? I'm curious as to who's doing it,
whether its standardized now or still an "on demand" and more arbitrary
pricing arrangement, that sort of thing. I know that Films for the
Humanities & Sciences is in a position and has begun to offer streaming
rights, but have few details yet because my institution isn't able to
explore the option at this time.

Jeff

--On Wednesday, September 18, 2002 2:39 PM -0700 Rick Faaberg
<rfaaberg@attbi.com> wrote:

> On 9/18/02 8:07 AM, "Jeffrey Clark" <clarkjc@jmu.edu> sent this out:
>
>> 1. TEACH has not yet passed. It may be passed (as is) by the full House
>> this fall, though.
>>
>> 2. TEACH does refer to using only "reasonable" portions of performance
>> programming, restricted to registered course members. So it would not
>> make
>
> [snips] [joining in late here...]
>
> In K-12 we've seen this sort of scenario for video licensing:
>
> - buy single or multiple copies of titles for circulation to schools
> (discounts usually available for quantity purchases)
> - buy physical copies along with closed-cast rights (pay more $)
> - buy physical copies along with duplication rights (pay a lot more $)
> - buy physical copies along with dupe and closed-broadcast rights (pay
> even more $)
> - buy streaming rights for a secured intranet that serves your customer
> base and get VHS/DVD print and sometimes closed-cast and/or dupe rights
> (pay quite a bit more $)
> - buy streaming rights for delivery over the open internet (you can't
> afford it and if you do it anyway, they'll come remove some limbs) :-)
>
> Obviously, fair use doesn't do a thing for our circulating libraries...
>
> Rick Faaberg

Jeff Clark
Director
Media Resources (MSC 1701)