RE: help for deteriorated film

Bergman, Barbara J. (barbara.bergman@mnsu.edu)
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 14:33:45 -0700 (PDT)

It is 35mm.

-----Original Message-----
From: Oksana Dykyj [mailto:oksana@vax2.concordia.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 3:45 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: RE: help for deteriorated film

Vinegar syndrome and decomposition strikes acetate film as well. There's
no
indication from the original post whether it is a 35mm or a 16mm film.
If
it's 35mm, it can be a nitrate print but if it's 16mm it is absolutely
not
nitrate and therefore not a security issue in terms of flammability etc.
In
any event it should be isolated from any other films as soon as possible

and the university administration needs to make a decision about how
important their institutional history is to them and whether they are
willing to put any money into saving a part of it.

Oksana

At 01:24 PM 9/18/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Yikes. If I am right, sounds like a nitrate film print, as most were
of
>that vintage, and has deteriorated as most do without proper
preservation.
>It would take absolute professionals to dupe any of it, if possible at
all.
>A matter not to take lightly as it is dangerously combustible.
CAREFULLY
>remove it from the premises and put somewhere that it would harm not
>anything or better to just dispose of as dangerous waste.
>
>Trent Nicholas
>Statewide Media Resource Coordinator
>Virginia Museum of Fine Arts

Approximately
>15 minutes look salvageable but that section has also deteriorated.
The
>film is very faded down the center and is slightly sticky. The only
>reason I am interested in pursing this is that the content of the film
>has historical value to the campus and the images can be made out on
>some of the frames. Does having a copy made sound like a waste of money
>for this film? (Realizing a vendor would have to clean up the original
>to make such a copy.)

__
Oksana Dykyj voice: 514-848-3443
Head, Visual Media Resources fax: 514-848-3441
Faculty of Fine Arts
Concordia University
H-335, 1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. W,
Montreal, Quebec