Re: Innovative Booking

Kate Vaux (kmvaux@unimelb.edu.au)
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 17:08:25 -0700 (PDT)

--=====================_1943906==_.ALT

Hi,

We have III and use the booking service. It works well. In that people
can have items booked for them and they usually get them when they want
them. It is a reliable service. But the III Bookings moudle has some
minor areas of frustration. Which may be unique to our library in the way
it has been set up here - I just don't know. We are the only section that
uses the booking system and we don't pull that much weight with management,
so some of our difficulties maybe easily overcome if the module is up to
date. But it may be a universal situation. These are enhancements (i.e.
gripes) I have recommended to management :

Status of Booked Items :
When a booked item is checked in it would be useful if INNOPAC gave the
option of "place on Booking Shelf" (or like - similar to "check in and put
on holdshelf" options) and automatically provided the status "Booking
Shelf" as per holds going on to the hold shelf.

At the moment we have to, exit check-in and enter "Update bibliographic
records" and change the item's status to "Ask at Desk", for each item
placed on the Booking Shelf. This is time consuming. Moreover, the "Ask
at Desk" status is also used for several other conditions so it is not
clear from the catalogue that an item is booked for someone. It is also
confusing for Loans Staff as some items that have been given the "Ask at
Desk" status need to have this status retained at check-in and check-out,
whilst booked items should have the "Ask at Desk" status removed on check-out.

Patron Notification of Bookings :
Presently patrons are not notified that the item they booked is
available. It would be beneficial, if the system automatically emailed
notifications, so that the patrons could know that the item they had booked
is waiting for them on the Booking Shelf (as per holds). Booked items are
often forgotten and because we can't both hold and book media items we do
use bookings in a similar fashion to holds. That is if a video is on loan
a patron can book it for the day after it is due back. Patrons can't
easily distinguish between the Booking System and the Holds System and
there is a false expectation that they will be
notified. Notification/confirmation would especially benefit those patrons
who book items because they are currently on loan and wish to pick the item
up as soon as it is returned.

Printed Booking slips :
It would save staff time if the item status was printed on each booking
slip. At the moment each item has to be checked on the system individually
in order to determine if the item is on the Booking Shelf (i.e. Ask at desk
status), on loan, overdue, recently returned or available on shelf.

It would also save staff time if the booking slips could be or were
automatically sorted into location and call number order.

We also had a few problems with the change over from III to
Milcirc. Initially Milcirc wouldn't recognise that there were bookings on
items at check-in and check-out. Lots of unsatisfied customers then. This
has been fixed now.

Hope this helps,

Kate Vaux
Media Information Librarian
Media Collections
The Information Division
The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010
Australia
email : kmvaux@unimelb.edu.au
Telephone : +61 3 8344 8650 or +61 3 8344 8316
Facsimile : +61 3 9347 0974
http://www.lib.unimelb.edu.au/collections/media/