Re: Question about donated tapes

John Streepy (John.Streepy@cwu.edu)
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 13:24:22 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for the input, what a great list.
I just watched one of the tapes and it is full of notices during the playback. I found out these were sent to us by a company that we bought CDs for our music collection from. I thought they were from some individual who had gotten a hold of them. I would think it would be bad for that company to send them like that as well. Thanks to you and to Jessica for answering my question so fast.
John

John H. Streepy
Library Tech III
Library-Media Circulation
Central Washington University Library
400 E. 8th AVE
Ellensburg, WA 98926-7548

(509) 963-2861

>>> vidlib@videolibrarian.com 09/10/02 12:45PM >>>
Dear John,

Adding screeners to the collection is a big no-no (and I say this as both a
former librarian and a video review magazine editor). Promotional copies are
sent for out for review/evalutation purposes only, and depending on the
studio, the tape may either periodically run an 800 number to call or it may
have a specific number burned into the upper corner (which would allow the
studio to trace the tape directly to the person to whom it was originally
sent). Besides these deterrents, it's just not ethical, any more than adding
galley proofs of manuscripts to the print collection is ethical.

Best,

Randy Pitman
Publisher/Editor
Video Librarian
8705 Honeycomb Ct. NW
Seabeck, WA 98380
Tel: (800) 692-2270; Fax: (360) 830-9346
Email: vidlib@videolibrarian.com
Web: www.videolibrarian.com