RE: foreign film question

Carol Dunn (dunn@oplin.lib.oh.us)
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 11:42:29 -0700 (PDT)

Randy,
Thanks for the help. Luckily, I have the film and it's now on hold for the
patron.
I couldn't find it because she said it was a French Film. What would I
do without this listerv?!

Thanks again,
Carol Dunn
AV Manager, NT Administrator and Webmaster
dunn@oplin.lib.oh.us
Findlay-Hancock County Public Library
206 Broadway
Findlay, Ohio 45840
www.findlay.lib.oh.us
Telephone: 419.422.1712
Fax: 419.422.0638

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Randy Pitman
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 2:23 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: foreign film question

Hi Carol,

The film you're looking for is called "Journey of Hope." Here's the review I
wrote many moons ago:

Journey of Hope
color. 111 min. In Turkish, German, and Italian w/English subtitles. HBO
Video. (1990). $92.99. Rated: PG
Winner of last year's Oscar for Best Foreign Film, writer-director Xavier
Koller's Journey of Hope is a powerful, and gorgeously shot, tale of dashed
dreams based on a true story. Haydar and Meryem, a Kurdish couple struggling
on a farm in Southeast Turkey, together with their seven children, decide to
strike out for greener pastures when word comes from Haydar's brother Cemal
that Switzerland is a "paradise" on Earth. Selling their possessions, the
couple make arrangements to emigrate illegally to Switzerland and pay an
outrageous sum for the passports and transportation necessary for the
journey. The children are left in the care of Haydar's parents, except for
young Mehmet Ali, who is chosen to accompany the parents after Meryem
insists that at least one of their children come along. Unfortunately,
Mehmet Ali's presence ultimately creates an escalating series of problems
for the couple beginning with the fact that he has no passport, and ending
with a heartrending trek across the Swiss mountains in the dark and
murderous cold. The persistence of dreams in the face of callous smugglers,
overwhelming natural barriers, and the sheer confusion of the unknown, is
the inspirational subtext of this often absorbing film. Although
predictable, and occasionally bogged down by melodramatic symbolism, Journey
of Hope is for the most part realistic and sometimes quite moving
(especially in its wrenching conclusion). Though not in a class with recent
Best Foreign Film winners (Pelle the Conqueror (1988), Cinema Paradiso
(1989)), it is very accessible to general audiences. Recommended.

Best,

Randy

Randy Pitman
Publisher/Editor
Video Librarian
8705 Honeycomb Ct. NW
Seabeck, WA 98380
Tel: (800) 692-2270; Fax: (360) 830-9346
Email: vidlib@videolibrarian.com
Web: www.videolibrarian.com