RE: Piaget on Piaget

Deg Farrelly (DEG.FARRELLY@asu.edu)
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 12:02:10 -0700 (PDT)

John -

I hope you are able to find a new copy of Piaget on Piaget on VHS.

But remember... if you are unable to find one, the US Copyright LAW
specifically allows for duplication of your 16mm copy to VHS *without*
securing permission to do so.

> The US Copyright law is quite specific in granting *libraries* right to
> duplicate materials under certain conditions.
>
> Conditions include that the library already own a copy of the item, that
> the copy is repacement is solely for replacement of a copy that is
> damaged, deteriorating, lost, stolen or in a format that has become
> obsolete; and that the library has determined after *reasonable* effort
> that an *unused* copy cannot be obtained at a *fair* price. (emphasis
> mine)
>
> Obsolescence of a format is defined as "the machine or device necessary to
> render perceptible a work stored in that format is no longer manufactured
> or is no longer reasonably available in the commercial marketplace."
>
> While these provisions do not cover conversion from PAL, they could
> reasonably cover conversion of 3/4" and other earlier video formats.

deg farrelly, Associate Librarian
Media/Communications Studies/Women's Studies
Arizona State University West
P.O. Box 37100
Phoenix, Arizona 85069-7100
Phone: 602.543.8522