Re: PAL Conversions

Judith Thomas (jet3h@unix.mail.virginia.edu)
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 09:49:03 -0700 (PDT)

--Apple-Mail-2-706577771

You can read copyright law relevant to at least parts of this issue
at: http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#108. There you can
clearly see that copying and reformatting is permitted under certain
(albeit highly restricted) circumstances.

Judy

On Wednesday, August 28, 2002, at 11:13 AM, Evershed, Julie wrote:

> If you have legal representation (that specializes in intellectual
> property) available to you at your institution, check with them. I have
> gotton the go ahead to migrate the media to different formats depending
> on the circumstances.
>
> Good Luck,
> Julie

Judith Thomas
Director, Robertson Media Center
Clemons Library
University of Virginia
Charlottesville, VA 22904
(434) 924-8814 | jthomas@virginia.edu

--Apple-Mail-2-706577771

You can read copyright law relevant to at least parts of this issue

at:
There you can

clearly see that copying and reformatting is permitted under certain

(albeit highly restricted) circumstances.

Judy

<excerpt>If you have legal representation (that specializes in
intellectual property) available to you at your institution, check
with them. I have gotton the go ahead to migrate the media to
different formats depending on the circumstances.

Good Luck,

Julie

Kim, as far as I knew it does hold true for "archival" copying. When

trying to copy 16mm prints to video at Flaxman we were required to get

permission from every copyright holder. Needless to say, we only
ended

up copying titles that were in the public domain, which were very few.

roland.

Kim Hale wrote:

<excerpt>Does that hold true for archival copying too? For example,
transferring

16mm to DVD or video?

Thanks,

Kim